Mysterious spices!Some products not only add extra weight, but also burn excess fat, like grapefruit, low-fat milk products and green tea. By the way, green tea not only prevents the formation of malignant cells, but also helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases and has beneficial effect on body metabolism. It is considered that 5 cups a day of green tea loose us 70-80 calories. Recently the list of such products was updated by the leading nutritionists with cinnamon. The various researches showed that quarter of a tea spoon taken with daily meals helps to absorb sugars more effectively and lower its level in the blood. It is important, since the high level of sugar leads to the formation of new fat deposits. Cinnamon can easily replace sugar – it has naturally sweet taste!
Cinnamon is an evergreen laurel family tree, 15m.
Already in the I A.D. Pliny the Elder wrote about the taste qualities of cinnamon and distinguished several types of it.
Nowadays, there are 4 popular types of cinnamon:
- Ceylon cinnamon – also called noble cinnamon or real cinnamon. Its quality surpasses all other types and is prized more. It is grown in India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brazil, Guiana, Martinique and Réunion. Ceylon cinnamon is very fragile, with delicate scent. It has sweet, a little bit burning and warming taste.
- Chinese cinnamon – its homeland is considered to be South China. It has been known since 2800 B.C. It has rather steeper then Ceylon, but also sweet, astringent and slightly burning.
- Malabar cinnamon – first appeared in India. Now it also grows in Burma. It is much thicker, 3mm and more, has harsh, sometimes bitter taste and is of darker colour.
- Spicy cinnamon grows on Moluccas island plantations and in Indonesia. It has very sharp scent, spicy taste with slight burning.
Only very rich people could afford cinnamon. They had specially made bakery with cinnamon, the cinnamon was added to wine, used to refresh the air. Eager to earn, many merchants had to sponsor various expedition. The first European explorer who discovered cinnamon was Lorenzo de Alma in 1505 in Ceylon. Since then for many centuries Ceylon had to stay a colony.
Now cinnamon can be found in every kitchen, either as a powder or sticks and is considered the most common spice.
The bark of cinnamon tree posses various healing properties.
It has antiseptic, diuretic, cleansing, stimulating and anti-bacterial properties. It normalises stomach and intestines functions, can serve as an antipyretic, expectorant and analgesic. Cinnamon oil is a good de-worming, mixed with honey it helps to cure the lichen; depending on the intensity of use, it can soothe or stimulate the nervous system, helps to cure insects’ bites. It is considered that the cinnamon scent fills the heart and soul, taking away the feeling of loneliness, fear and constraint; augments inspiration, creates home environment.
Cinnamon helps with the majority of gastro-intestinal problems, used in combination can even help to cure the ulcer. It is a great aid with cystitis, delayed menstruation, liver diseases.
Coffee will cheer you up even more if you add a cinnamon stick and half a tea spoon of cocoa powder.
Warm enchanting scent of the spice is exceptionally mouth-watering with apples, pears and chocolate…that is why many gourmands add to their cappuccinos whisper of grated cinnamon and chocolate. Cinnamon is used to add flavour to various drinks, with mandarins, in bakery and various deserts. Poultry, pork and lamb dishes will taste like new if cinnamon is added! For example, such traditional recipes as for stuffed eggplants or Greek lamb stew are impossible without cinnamon!
How to choose and safe-keep:
Cinnamon comes in two ways: sticks or powder. Sticks are kept longer, however the powder is much more flavourful. The freshness of cinnamon can be checked by its flavour. If it is sweet, then cinnamon is fresh. It is better to keep the cinnamon in dark cool places in glass jars. When kept this way the cinnamon powder stays fresh for 6 months, sticks – for one year.
Things you maybe did not know about cinnamon
- Spices are made from the bark collected during the monsoon (season of rains) from May to October, when the bark is easier to take off
- The spices are collected from one tree no more than once in five years. This is exactly how long it is necessary for the tree to restore itself
- According to the studies half a tea spoon of cinnamon is enough to visibly lower the level of blood sugar
- The smell of cinnamon improves performance!
- Tea with cinnamon is capable to cure common cold symptoms in no time!
- Essential cinnamon oil – a great tool to fight the feeling of loneliness
The best of cinnamon in SOTHYS products: Hydrating body mist CINNAMON & GINGER ESCAPE; Nourishing body elixir CINNAMON & GINGER ESCAPE; Delicious scrub CINNAMON & GINGER ESCAPE; Shower gel CINNAMON & GINGER ESCAPE
Source: internet resources (http://isearch.in.ua/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=212:2010-08-01-15-15-49&catid=34:2010-05-01-05-52-19<emid=55; http://kuking.net/10_1098.htm)